Low speed snow sports

Jes Sorensen jes at sgi.com
Thu Apr 27 08:53:33 EDT 2006

Val> How many people are interested in non-downhill snow sports like
Val> cross country skiing and snowshoeing?  The organizers would like
Val> to know how many people are interested for planning purposes.

Val> I don't do downhill snow sports myself because of the following
Val> personality defects:

Val> 1. Severe need for complete control at all times.  2. Wimpiness.
Val> 3. Preference for long painful boring sports such as hiking in
Val> which the main joy comes from being finished.  4. Lack of desire
Val> to join my two friends with broken bones from skiing.

For those who have never tried it, I'd just point out that the main
reason we suggest lessons if exactly because of reasons 1-4, in
particular 3 and 4.

I used to think that strapping two planks to my feet and pointing them
down the hill was the most retarded thing ever ..... then I made the
mistake of trying it out.

It's very much like programming, those who have no clue just jump into
it at full throttle and we end up with a useless mess in the end. Then
there are the smart ones who take the time to learn and they come out
with something really good.

So for those who are worried and scared then I can only say that
lessons are the way to go. A good instructor will teach you proper
technique allowing you to get down under control even from the most
difficult places. Don't be afraid, it's much worse than it looks like :)

In general they don't take beginners to start on the black slopes
.... unless your name is Val (and they do notify the rest of us in
advance to bring camcorders :)

Cheers,
Jes