IEEE1588 patent encumbered -

gertjan hofman ghofman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 19:56:35 EST 2010

A quick glance at some of the Agilent patents show that US 5566180 would
definitely infringe (not that I am a lawyer). It is essentially the 1588
protocol.  Most the "Letters of Assurance" received by IEEE from Agilent on
this subject do not exclude charging license fees, merely guarantee license
will be provided to all interested parties.

It seems to me that it is not the code as such that is the problem, but
message algorithm. Hence there should be simple answers to our questions:
National Instruments, Intel, IXXAT, Hirshman etc are all selling products
that use the protocol (whether in soft or hardware) and either all pay
nominal license fees or Agilent isn't interested in charging it.

I will get our lawyers involved in 2 weeks if I don't find out anything in
the meantime.

Cheers and thanks

Gertjan

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Ronciak, John <john.ronciak at intel.com>wrote:

>  We have started the discussion here, including our lawyers.  As soon as I
> know more I'll post an update to this list.
>

> Cheers,
> John
> "...that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you
> destroy.", B. Obama, 2009

Gertjan Hofman
ghofman [at] gmail.com   gertjan.hofman [at] honeywell.com

604-982-3574