[Pcsclite-muscle] Web smartcard access (?)

Sebastien Lorquet sebastien at lorquet.fr
Fri Jun 16 06:32:59 PDT 2023

Hi all,

For a time in the Past, it was possible to enumerate smart card readers
and to exchange APDUs with smart card from various web extensions, both
in internet explorer (via ActiveX crimes) or in firefox (via XPCOM crimes).

Browsers got updated, Chrome won it all, and now it's all gone.

So is it still possible to access smart card in a browser context in
2023 and how?

Now, we have webassembly and webusb in chrome, maybe chromium. Firefox
still does not have it.

And I wonder if pcsclite, in a form executable from browser context,
could be compiled to webassembly with a webusb backend so we can do
smartcards in the browser again?

Clearly the full pcscd daemon + libpcsc library is not workable... but
something could be, with shortcuts?

I am clearly incompetent to design all of this but if someone else was
curious enough to try... some others people would use this, including me.

Best regards,

Sebastien