[Pcsclite-muscle] Trouble using Yubikey 5 NFC

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 13:20:46 PDT 2023

Le mer. 19 avr. 2023 à 19:32, Sebastien Requiem
<sebastien at canihaz.net> a écrit :

> Hi Frank and others,

Hello,

> This now makes sense and you spotted the issue correctly.  Had I been a bit more careful when I bought an ACS122u I would have noticed that pcsc homepage mentions the lack of extended apdu (see https://ccid.apdu.fr/ccid/unsupported.html#0x072F0x2200 ).

> Since the middleware is scdaemon from gnupg, it is futile to offer a patch that modifies the communication protocol so that extended  payload would be made by short apdu (multiple calls and  offset) knowing that the code relies heavily on extended mode and knowing that the middleware cannot know in advance if extended apdu is  available on the hardware or not.

The middleware can know if a reader supports, or not, extended APDU.
See "Extended APDU support reported by PC/SC (part 2)" (from 2012)
https://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.com/2012/04/extended-apdu-support-reported-by-pcsc.html

> I ended up shifting from RSA4096 to ECC 25519 which reduces the key size and everything works as expected now.

That is a solution :-)

If you are looking for a contactless reader that supports extended
APDU you can have a look at this list:
https://ccid.apdu.fr/select_readers/index.html?features=contactless&dwFeatures%E2%89%A013

Bye

--