[Pcsclite-muscle] What's responsible to filter out Le in Case 4 C-APDUs under T=0?

Michael StJohns mstjohns at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 11:03:28 PST 2022

On 2/9/2022 1:02 PM, Francois Grieu wrote:
> On 2022-02-08 at 23:53, s.ferey  wrote :
> > When T=0 protocol is used a case-4 can NOT contain a Le.
>
> The definition of Case 4 is given by ISO/IEC 7816-3:2006 section 12:
> ] In case 4, Nc ≠ 0 and Nr ≠ 0. The command APDU consists of the
> header, the Lc field, the command data field and the Le field. The
> response APDU consists of the response data field and the trailer.
>
> Therefore, independently of the protocol, Le is present in a case 4
> APDU, and in the corresponding Command APDU. Under T=0, Le must not be
> present in the first C-TPDU, nor physically sent to the card as part
> of that (only later on, conditionally). That does not tell if Le
> can/should be passed to ScardTransmit; or in other words if
> ScardTransmit is passed a C-APDU or a C-TPDU.
>
> Under T=0 case 1, the specification of ScardTransmit REQUIRES passing
> to ScardTransmit the 4-byte C-APDU, not the 5-byte C-TPDU. Quoting
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winscard/nf-winscard-scardtransmit
> } For T=0, in the special case where no data is sent to the card and
> no data expected in return, this length [of the data passed to
> ScardTransmit] must reflect that the bP3 member is not being sent; the
> length should be sizeof(CmdBytes) - sizeof(BYTE) [that is 4]

This is strange, but probably correct. From PCSC 3 -

> 3.1.2.1.2 T=0 Protocol Support
> From the ICC Service Provider perspective, an IFD Subsystem shall
> accept Case 1, 2 or 3 short APDUs, as defined in ISO 7816-4 and
> asynchronously return the response from the ICC. Direct Case 4 APDU
> support is not required. The IFD Subsystem shall change this APDU to
> TPDU for T=0 command. Especially it is mandatory to change APDU case1
> format (CLA INS P1 P2) to TPDU with P3='00' (CLA INS P1 P2 '00').

So that may explain why this only applies to Case 1.    I think for case
2, you pass in Le as the P3 TPDU parameter and the IFD figures out that
this is case 2 due to the lack of any follow on data bytes.  Strangely,
that means the card can't actually tell the difference between a Case 1
APDU and a Case 2 APDU with Le=0 except by how the card defines the INS.

> I'm ready to admit ScardTransmit is supposed to be passed a C-TPDU
> except as stated by the above quote. I just wish some reference
> stating that, before rejecting the alternative: ScardTransmit is
> supposed to receive the C-TPDU in all short cases and all protocols.

I'm pretty sure that SCardTransmit should get passed a TPDU and not an
APDU.  I was looking for a definitive answer in the PCSC specifications,
specifically PCSC 3, and the closest I come is to section 4.3.2.1 which
says that a Case 4 APDU can't be used - instead use GET RESPONSE (and I
guess  use a Case 3 APDU).

> • A case 4 APDU cannot be used. It is the responsibility of the
> application or the service provider to generate a « get response » if
> they need it.
This is not exactly what ISO7816-3 says, but it's sort of a reasonable
interpretation of how to map APDUs to TPDUs for T=0. Case 3 and Case 4
APDUs have the same format for the first command TPDU.

> Perhaps useful to settle that debate: under T=1, even in short cases,
> it can be necessary to break the C-APDU into several C-TPDUs. Is that
> the job of ScardTransmit+driver, or is that the job of the application ?

I think you're confusing Blocks and TPDUs.   The TPDU for T=1 is the
same as the APDU.  But the underlying driver has to deal with the block
by block T=1 transmission.

E.g.

> 3.1.2.1.3 T=1 Protocol Support
> From the ICC Service Provider perspective, an IFD Subsystem shall
> accept 7816-4 APDUs, construct the necessary T=1 blocks to convey
> those APDUs and asynchronously return the response from the ICC.

In this case IFD subsystem ~= driver.

> In the first alternative, the logical input of ScardTransmit is a
> C-APDU. In the second, it's a C-TPDU with an exception for case 1 and
> T=0.
> I hope that does not depend on if the reader is APDU-level or
> TPDU-level, because I know no portable way to tell which kind the
> reader is, and I expect ScardTransmit+driver to handle that particular
> mess.

I'd just check for the protocol and assume for T=0 that you have to
special case Case 4 APDUs.

Good luck, Mike