[Pcsclite-muscle] Lenovo laptops, GNU/Linux and smart card readers?

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 13:15:19 EDT 2020

Le mer. 2 sept. 2020 à 02:36, Michael StJohns <mstjohns at comcast.net> a écrit :
> Hi -

Hello Michael,
Thanks for your comments.

> I've been a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad user for years.  Mostly the T series as
> that has had a) the most reliability, and b) most configurability.
> Also, I've been able to maintain the machines thanks to their pretty
> detailed maintenance manuals.
>
> My current machine is a T560.  I was headed for the T590, but wanted a
> better graphics card and instead have a P1 Gen 2 waiting in the wings
> for me to be ready to move my work over.  Also, the P1 does not have the
> off-center keyboard of the T series: the T series includes a number pad,
> the P1 does not.  The T series uses a 65W charger, while the P1 uses a
> 135watt charger.  Normal, not graphic heavy (e.g. not games) battery
> lifetime is exceptional.

There are so many configurations. It is hard to select what
corresponds to my needs.

> Either of these is fairly light, and has a built-in battery.  I'd
> recommend buying a machine with the biggest processor you can afford,
> and the least amount of storage.  For memory, I'd select the soldered
> 16Gb option, and then install an extra 16GB stick.  I'd buy the upgrade
> to the memory and storage separately and use the aforementioned
> maintenance manual as a guide for installing the upgrades.  Mainly
> because the markup on the memory and storage is so high relative to
> retail costs.

I found a funny configuration with the ThinkPad P73.
By default you get "256GB SSD PCIe". But if you select the "512GB SSD
PCIe" it is $220 less. Yes, it is cheaper with 512 GB than with 256GB.
Very strange. Maybe it is a mistake? Or I am missing something?

> I think you're stuck with the Windows tax, but they may have a Debian
> option.  A french keyboard is doable.   I'd suggest adding the
> fingerprint reader in addition to the card reader.

The ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 has a version "ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8
with Linux".
The price is $36.63 less. That is 3.4% of the total price.
I could not find a Linux version for the other models I looked at.

> Lastly, pick up the three year depot repair option.  The cost is pretty
> low, and allows you to ship your machine in for repairs if you don't
> want to do them yourself.
>

> I hope that helps - Mike

Yes. Sure.

> ps - checking the X1 maintenance manual
> (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_carbon3_hmm_en_sp40g55065.pdf)
> seems to confirm the X1 does not support an integrated smart card reader.

Maybe Axel Braun's laptop is not an X1 Carbon (as in the maintenance
manual) but an X1 Yoga, or X1 Extreme?
But I could not find a smart card configuration for these models.

Axel, can you give us the exact model you have with the Alcor Micro
smart card reader issue?

Regards,

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau