[Pcsclite-muscle] Extended Length APDU and T=0

Luciano Checchinato l.checchinato at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 07:59:34 EST 2020

Hello,
I've been addressed here to get qualified informations on  the stack
of standards and implementations which power smart cards on a PC
(windows/linux/macOS)

The topic is APDU extended lengths, in T=0 protocol.

Theoretically an ISO7816-3 card can accept extAPDU in T=0 protocol,
via ENVELOPE short commands and GET RESPONSE chained commands. On ICC
side this is correctly managed by a Javacard VM.
On IFD side, I am not able to understand who has to do what in a PCSC
environment:
1. is CCID driver in charge of transforming the extAPDU in the
sequence of TPDU ?
2. is responsibility of the IFD Handler?
3. is responsibility of the final PCSC application?

Then, I have read in PCSC#3 that in T=0, only APDU case 1,2,3 short
are supported (4.3.2.1 Data Exchange with the ICC). Is it correct to
say that with a PCSC reader, in T=0, no APDU extended length is
possible? Or are they possible by creating TPDU at application level?

All these questions because I have an Extended Length test applet not
working as I expect with  my reader.

Thank you,

Luciano Checchinato