[Pcsclite-muscle] Lenovo laptops, GNU/Linux and smart card readers?

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 09:36:15 EDT 2020

Hello,

Lenovo presented a talk at the latest Debian conference: Debconf 2020,
last week.
Lenovo wants to improve support of GNU/Linux distributions, including
Debian, in their products.

The talk presentation is at:
https://debconf20.debconf.org/talks/67-lenovo-debian/
The video is 67-lenovo-debian.webm at
https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2020/DebConf20/

Lenovo will propose a discount on their products for Debian Developers. Nice :-)
I don't know yet what the discount will be. But as I am a Debian
Developer I may buy a Lenovo laptop for the occasion.

I never had a Lenovo laptop before.
I know that people already reported issues with the Alcor Micro in the
ThinkPad X1. For example Axel Braun in May 2020. I can't point to his
email since the mailing archives from June 2018 to May 2020 are lost
:-( http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/pcsclite-muscle/

My needs:
- a big screen 15" or more
- a good/high definition
- a smart card reader (obviously)
- a French keyboard mapping
- no Windows tax if possible

So I ask you for comments:
- what Lenovo laptop should I buy?
- do you have suggestions?
- do you have comments on what I should select or avoid?

I guess not all the Lenovo laptops have a smart card reader included.
For example I tried to configure a "ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8" but I
was not able to add a smart card reader or even know if this product
comes with a smart card reader included by default.
I am able to select a smart card reader for the "ThinkPad T15p Gen 1",
"ThinkPad P53", and "ThinkPad P73". This list is not exhaustive.

Thanks

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau