[Pcsclite-muscle] Dual Interface Reader

Michael StJohns mstjohns at comcast.net
Mon Jan 29 10:23:05 PST 2018

On 1/29/2018 12:51 PM, Dennis Rieks wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On 29.01.2018 17:55, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>> Le 29/01/2018 à 16:03, Dennis Rieks a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> we are trying to access a smartcard using a dual interface reader
>>> (Identiv uTrust 4501 F Dual Interface Reader). If the card is
>>> inserted only partly, the contactless interface will detect the card
>>> fine. But when the card is fully inserted into the reader, the
>>> contactless reader will emit a card removed event and the contact
>>> reader a card inserted event.
>>>
>>> Card inserted partly:
>>> eventhandler.c:421:EHStatusHandlerThread() Card inserted into
>>> Identiv uTrust 4701 F Dual Interface Reader [uTrust 4501 F CL Reader]
>>>
>>> Card inserted fully:
>>> eventhandler.c:421:EHStatusHandlerThread() Card inserted into
>>> Identiv uTrust 4701 F Dual Interface Reader [uTrust 4501 F Contact
>>> Reader]
>>> eventhandler.c:356:EHStatusHandlerThread() Card Removed From Identiv
>>> uTrust 4701 F Dual Interface Reader [uTrust 4501 F CL Reader]
>>>
>>> The problem is that if the card is not inserted slowly, the
>>> contactless reader has no change to read the nfc card.
>>>
>>> (Because we are currently using nfc cards only, the contact reader
>>> will fail to power the chip: "winscard.c:339:SCardConnect() Error
>>> powering up card", I think this is because no contact chip is present.)
>>>
>>> Is there any way to access the nfc chip when the card is fully
>>> inserted?
>>
>> Maybe you can just put the card _on_ the reader instead of _inside_
>> the reader.
> Thank you for the note, but unfortunately this is not possible because
> it is the embedded version of the reader. there is only one card slot
> like the one in a cash machine. The case is made of metal and the nfc
> card is only detected when (slowly) put into the reader slot...
>
> The Reader Slot: https://deribo.de/slot.jpg
> The Reader itself: https://deribo.de/4701jpg
>
> Does pcslite generally support two active cards (nfc and chip) in a
> dual reader at the same time? Or is the hardware telling that the nfc
> card was removed?

The contact reader has a leaf switch which detects card insertion and
triggers the contact reader (incidentally disabling the contactless
reader).   If you never have a need for the contact reader, you could
probably snip the trace to the switch.  A better idea would be to
re-mount the reader so that the antenna on the board (the back side of
the board towards the same edge as the contact reader opening)  is
against the outside of the case (and the case is plastic).

It's also possible that the board itself has a jumper that can be
removed to disable the contact reader detection.

Last possibility is that the board supports an external antenna that can
be mounted separately from the reader itself.

Good luck - Mike