[Pcsclite-muscle] Rare race condition in SCardGetStatusChange()

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 12:04:33 PDT 2018

> Hello,

> Sorry, I haven't looked closely through the proposed patch, although
> the bug explanation seems convincing.
>
> My two cents: breaking the protocol's binary compatibility is an
> unfortunate change to do. This will likely require issuing a new major
> version of PCSC-Lite; and as switching of significant part of client
> applications onto this new version will definitely take a while, this
> may result in having to support two major versions in parallel for a
> long time.
> So I think it makes sense to investigate more whether some other
> approaches are possible, which don't require backwards-incompatible
> protocol changes.

I would release a new major version of pcsc-lite if I break the API or ABI.
Here the change in internal and will not break anything if you update
pcscd and libpcsclite at the same time (as you should always do).

Changing the client-daemon protocol is not a problem for me.

If you are linking statically with libpcsclite you would get an error
on the first PC/SC call because the protocol will not match.
I guess that people using static linking do this for a valid reason
and they know the effects.

Or maybe you have convincing arguments?

Bye

--