[Pcsclite-muscle] How to Identify USB devices on linux/ubuntu/debian

Uv Wildner uv.wildner.ext
Mon Jan 30 05:41:29 PST 2017

I see, the stack introduces a level of abstraction which discards this information.

I will try to workaround this by reinitializing the crypto parts each time.
I hope I can cover all my test cases like this.

So for the use case:

In an automated test setup I will be running a number of containerized systems needing exactly one card reader containing the right card.

On the host level I am assigning a USB device to the container , inside the container I am just using the first card available.

When the (usb) device - card mapping is going wrong I will end up in encryption problems when the wrong card with the wrong key is connected to my current container.

Thanks a lot for the quick & efficient support!!!

From: "Ludovic Rousseau" <ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com>
To: "pcsclite-muscle" <pcsclite-muscle at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 2:19:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Pcsclite-muscle] How to Identify USB devices on linux/ubuntu/debian

> Hello,

Hi,

> so the API does not provide for the USB device information. That's too bad. :(

A smart card reader is not always a USB device.
When PC/SC was designed smart card readers were serial devices connected to a serial port.

> I wonder where that information about the device to card reader mapping gets lost, as it obviously is needed somewhere in the stack?!?!

The information is present in pcsc-lite and in the CCID driver.
For example pcscd calls libccid with a parameter like "usb:08e6/3437:libudev:0:/dev/bus/usb/001/002"
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/api/group__IFDHandler.html#gabb9fe35a68fa080ce9397f0b830b1e7e

My question was and still is: why do you need this information at the application level?

Bye

--
Dr. Ludovic Rousseau