[Pcsclite-muscle] max length of randomLen for C_GenerateRandom

Florent fdeybach
Thu Apr 20 07:42:33 PDT 2017

Hello,

I have in mind to use a smartcard or a hardware hsm as a random number
generator via the PKCS#11 C_GenerateRandom function.

However I would need a large amount of bits.
However the available examples on Internet use small values for the
randomLen argument (<100 bits) e.g.
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19120-01/open.solaris/819-2145/6n4f2qhq0/index.html

Is there a theoretical maximum value?
Could I ask for 1000000000 bits at one time for example ? Or will I have to
call several times the function in a loop with small values?
I assume it would depend on the smartcard model, right?

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers