[Pcsclite-muscle] Looking/developing magstripe API

Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov dbaryshkov
Mon May 9 05:11:34 PDT 2016

>> Hello,

>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I've seen hybrid readers in the past implement a custom SCardControl
>> > sequence that would allow manipulation of the mag stripe interface.  I'm
>> > not
>> > sure if anything was ever standardized though.
>> > At least in that manner you can still operate within the context of the
>> > resource manager and enjoy the transaction features as well.
>> >

>> > https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa379474(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> Why do you want to use PC/SC if your application needs to use specific code
> to use SCardControl() and then will not be a normal PC/SC application?
> It may be simpler to define your own specific API to read a magstripe.

Surely, that is an option (and I'll probably end up with just writing
a lib to work
with magstripe readers). I was mostly concerned about hybrid ICC+stripe readers
(used one several years ago at work). I wanted to have an interface that would
work with both hybrid and stripe-only readers. However it seems that hybrids are
so rare in real world, that I should not care about them.

--
With best wishes
Dmitry