[Pcsclite-muscle] IFD polling

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz
Wed Feb 25 08:01:19 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 07:42 -0800, William Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Ludovic Rousseau <
> ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's from the client application side. I was looking for a java
> > binding to
> > > the ifd interface.
> >
> > Why do you want to call the IFD handler directly from Java?
> > Why not use the PC/SC interface?
> >

> I am not explaining this properly :-P

Perhaps not.

I think what you're asking for is effectively the ability to write an
IFD handler in Java.  For pcsc-lite, I don't think that's realistic --
it would mean pulling an entire Java interpreter into pcscd.  What you
could do is a bridge that talks to a Java program running in another
process, but I think that's going to be more troublesome than it's
worth.

jPAM in fact does not do this; what it does is let Java applications
call PAM, not the other way around.  pam-python _does_ let you write PAM
modules in Python; it does this by spinning up a Python interpreter in
the PAM module.  That works because Python is designed to be embedded in
another program in this way and because it will be shut down and
unloaded when the module is removed, which happens no later than when
the application calls pam_end().

-- Jeff