[Pcsclite-muscle] HELP! Any experience on smart card chip wearing?

helpcrypto helpcrypto helpcrypto
Mon Sep 8 01:02:47 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Umberto Rustichelli <
umberto.rustichelli at gt50.org> wrote:

>  ...a few millions consecutive signatures for each card (what you wouldn't
> do to meet the absurd customers' demand!)...

omg

> To make it short, does anybody know of any predictable limit that can
> cause failures (after "many" signatures the *cards disconnect*, one by one)
> among the following:
>
> - cards cannot reliably work for more than N signatures

If it's a chip-writing limit issue, the card shouldnt be able to write
after reconnect. Have you tried that?

- some counters in the PCSC / CCID code

You can try stopping pcscd service and powering off devices each x-million
operations to discard this.

- any known issue with smart card drivers,

I dont know how you doing, but I suggest doing independent operations (ie:
use establishContext/releaseContext)

Whats the current operation limit?
Perhaps the amount of operations done is much more clarifying for us.
Consider, for example, PCSC dwCurrenStatus has a limit of bits to notify
card changes (including card resets).

Did anybody try such massive use of cards?

Not me.
Why on earth...?