here we are again: real name 'discussion'

Christian Marangi (Ansuel) ansuelsmth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 05:51:42 PDT 2024

> > My 2 cent on the problem of permitting nick is that if we accept that,
> > some funny guy might use nickname like "ExtraHardCockSucker"
> > and we wouldn't have anything to say about it and have to accept
> > it if the contribution is correct.
> >
> > Using Real name prevents that (on 99% of the case)
> > Examples of the case are (quoting an italian name)
> > "Antonio Bocchino" where bocchino means in italian blowjob...
> > It's a funny surname but still less worse than "UltraBoobsLover" kind.
> >
> > Other project even use an entire google form to make user sign DCO
> > and insert all kind of info.
> >

> Even though humour is good, nobody is advocating this, nor have I seen
> it in the wild. Allowing nicks does not mean that all have to be
> allowed. Exercise judgement and common sense.

My examples were extreme but another nickname of mine is Christo, from
Christian and I have read on IRC people that got offended by my profile pic
and this nickname... But again mine were just some reason of why I still
think real name is the correct way. Honestly I'm still confused what was the
big idea on the kernel to permits nickname... Some month ago I had like 6
reviewers that were angry with me using Ansuel Smith instead of my real
name (and me having to change the SoB losing at least 3 years of kernel
contributions)

But again lets make a vote and put and end to this. It's causing more
confusion with some commits being accepted and then someone yelling
on IRC.