OpenWRT for my tp-link EX510 AX3000 Dual Band Wi-Fi 6 Router?

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Sat Mar 2 08:02:19 PST 2024

On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 11:26:05AM +0100, Felix Baumann via openwrt-devel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just saw your mail from last year (22nd of march)
> No your EX510 is not supported.
> Look here: <https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/>
> No firmware available
>
> It appears the device is not sold worldwide so noone else worked on adding support for it.
> It might be similar to a TP-Link AX53 (just branded under a different name) but noone can know for sure without taking a look at the device.
>
> We don't know which processor is running in the device which is necessary to know whether its supportable.
> If it's close to a HX510 v1 then it's probably Qualcomm-based (Currently unsupported, might be in the future). HX510 v2 is Mediatek based, I think.
> There is no firmware online available for download (atleast I couldn't find any).
> There are also no pictures of the board/the inside of the device.
> TP-Link doesn't offer GPL firmware for it online, you would have to follow the instructions on your GPL notice and receive a copy of the firmware and share it with devs on the OpenWrt forum (probably you have to send TP-Link an email and receive a CD or download link).

Though it may not help for this specific case, for situations where you want to upload a source code candidate (what TP-Link and others send when you ask for code per their "GPL notice") the fiscal sponsor of OpenWrt, Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC), maintains a collection of such source code candidates that you can upload to yourself:

  https://sfconservancy.org/usethesource/

Once you've uploaded the source code candidate, we at SFC will post it within a day or two on that website.  You'll see there are already some TP-Link source candidates hosted there, in case you're curious and want to take a look.

I'm happy to answer any questions about Use The Source or how it works.  OpenWrt is an excellent example of what can be done when we do get the complete source code for a router!

Denver Gingerich
Director of Compliance
Software Freedom Conservancy