OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

David Bauer mail at david-bauer.net
Wed Jan 17 11:31:09 PST 2024

Hi John,

On 1/9/24 11:49, John Crispin wrote:

> * Why are there are 2 different flash chips?
> - the idea is to make the device (almost!) unbrickable and very easy to recover
> - NAND will hold the main loader (U-Boot) and the Linux image and will be the default boot device
> - NOR will be write-protected by default (with WP jumper available on the board) and will hold a recovery bootloader (and other essential data, like Wi-Fi calibration)
> - a dedicated boot select switch will allow changing between NOR and NAND

No Idea how MTK factory calibration data is individual per-device.

If it's possible, I'd like to propose a archive of the radio-calibration / MAC-Address partition.

So this would be used to enable people download their calibration data for their serial-number and
make it "unbrickable" with an SPI clamp.

What do you think?

Best
David