OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

Bas Mevissen abuse at basmevissen.nl
Fri Jan 12 07:16:50 PST 2024

On 09/01/2024 11:49, John Crispin wrote:

> This is our first design, so let's KiSS!

Agreed, however as it needs to last for a long period of time, it should
not be too under powered.

> Hardwarespecifications:
>
> * SOC: MediaTek MT7981B
> * Wi-Fi: MediaTek MT7976C (2x2 2.4 GHz + 3x3/2x2 + zero-wait DFS 5Ghz)

Was the MT7986AV, MT7976DA combo considered? Has 4x4 for office
applications (MU-MIMO), so might be useful for corporate or soho use.
It also has more horse power to run some local services

> * DRAM: 1 GiB DDR4

What's the price difference with 2GB? For home automation purposes and
other virtualisation applications it might come in handy.

> * Flash: 128 MiB SPI NAND+ 4 MiB SPI NOR
> * Ethernet: 2x RJ45 (2.5 GbE + 1 GbE)
> * USB (host): USB 2.0 (Type-A port)
> * USB (device, console): Holtek HT42B534-2 UART to USB (USB-C port)

Great idea!

> * Storage: M.2 2042 for NVMe SSD (PCIe gen 2 x1)
> * Buttons: 2x (reset + user)
> * Mechanical switch: 1x for boot selection (recovery, regular)
> * LEDs: 2x (PWM driven), 2x ETH Led (GPIO driven)
> * External hardware watchdog: EM Microelectronic EM6324 (GPIO driven)
> * RTC: NXP PCF8563TS (I2C) with battery backup holder(CR1220)
> * Power: USB-PD-12V on USB-C port (optional802.3at/afPoE via RT5040 module)
> * Expansion slots: mikroBUS
> * Certification: FCC/EC/RoHS compliance
> * Case: PCB size is compatible to BPi-R4 and the case design can be re-used
> * JTAG for main SOC: 10-pin 1.27 mm pitch (ARM JTAG/SWD)

Nice to have the connector, would be great if a supported USB JTAG
adapter could be supplied as an option.

> * Antenna connectors: 3x MMCX for easy usage, assembly and durability
> * Schematics: these will be publicly available (license TBD)
> * GPL compliance: 3b. "Accompany it with a written offer ... to give any
> third party ... a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding
> source code"
> * Price: aiming for below 100$

Or just have 1 or 2 existing Banana Pi boards with OpenWRT branding? The
schematics are not really making much difference for most people. Having
all SW FOSS does.

Bas.