OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Wed Jan 10 03:25:15 PST 2024

On 10.01.24 12:17, Robert Marko wrote:
>>> Along with a well designed minimalistic case with sufficient passive
>>> cooling and optional integrated antennas.  Thinking something along the
>>> Flirc RPi4 cases, using the case itself as a cooler. With half the case
>>> radio transparent and a choice between antenna pigtails and integrated
>>> antennas.  I realize that such a case will be relatively expensive. But
>>> without it all you have is yet another midrange dev board.  This is your
>>> chance to make a device which shouts "OpenWrt!!!" whenever someone sees
>>> it. Just like the original WRT did.  Not that that design was something
>>> to brag about beauty wise :-)
>> I also think we should should have a pre-assembled-with-case-and-antennas
>> option in addition to just offering the plain board.
> I think this is crucial for any OpenWrt board, as that is where the
> biggest audience is.
>
> Regards,
> Robert

yes, there should be 2 SKUs.

* raw PCB

* fully assembled inside case

SFC emphasized that they think having a fully assembled option is
crucial in their opinion.

regarding having a fancy and flashy plastic case. Would have loved to
see that happen, but the lead time for mould casting is insane as well
as the cost, specifically for small production runs. hence the choice
for re-using something that already exists.

     John