PKG_MAINTAINER_HANDLE

Paul D newtwen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 07:36:14 PST 2024

On 2024-01-08 16:03, Paul Spooren wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> PKG_MAINTAINER:=Joe Bloggs <joe at example.com>
>> PKG_MAINTAINER_HANDLE:=github: @joe; https://forum.openwrt.org/u/joe/
>>
>> Plan B
>>
>> co-opt existing PKG_MAINTAINER field, but perhaps it's possible?
>>
>> e.g:
>>
>> PKG_MAINTAINER:=Joe Bloggs <joe at example.com>, github: @Joe
>
> I think for that you could use a Codeowners file.
>
> Best,
> Paul

In this case, what takes priority?

If both Codeowners and Makefile PKG_MAINTAINER exist, which is
preferred? Do we only expect handles in Codeowners and PKG_MAINTAINER
email in Makefile?

Codeowners lives side-by-side with Makefile or repo root?

I dislike information spread across several different places: it further
behoves the hunt to track down relevant information.

Today to make a PR, I already have to spend five minutes chasing this
info down if I want things to stand a chance of going smoothly,
initially. This is friction for newcomers and for low-hanging-fruit fixes.

If all of the information is in one place, it's easy (easier).