OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

Enrico Mioso mrkiko.rs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 04:55:43 PST 2024

Hello!!

First of all, let me thank You all for this great project.
I wll do my best to buy some units - even tough I am not contributing by any mean to OpenWrt in terms of code, or very little, I am very passionate about this project and the overall router freedom.

As most of you know by now, I am a blind person and OpenWrt has always been a great opportunity for accessibility as well. The OpenWrt design itself helps accessibility, and the fact you can use it entirely with no web interface is really a plus for me.
It would be great if the hardware could be easily operable - and the exposed console port is - indeed - an enormous plus for me.
So, here are my probably unpopular opinions:
1 - I would like for the device to come pre-mounted with a case: having different cases with different designs is not great. And finding someone to help me mount one and/or shipping the device might not be as easy.
Some great friends here do help me, but I think it would be a better experience to have a ready-to-use device from the beginning.
2 - Switches for booting could be exposed and easily operable without removing the case: having to open the device case could make it easier to damage the device, the case or both. :)

As for the Wi-Fi, I would omit itentirely - leaving the device as it is for the rest of the specs.
I know the motto has been - for years - Wireless Freedom... but, personally, I am under the impression Wi-Fi is a fast moving targets these days, so packing Wi-Fi on the device wouldnt make so much sense here, to have it "deprecated" in months.
You get a robust router device that you can plug in your setup.
Hey - I told you this wasn't popular. :)

As for the NVME storage - it would be great if there was an easy way to install / change the NVME card as well, but here I know I am asking too much.
It could be enough it there was an option to purchase a device with NVME pre-installed. This would really help for me.

Enrico