OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

Ivan Ivanov qmastery16 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 02:02:32 PST 2024

This is an excellent idea by Dave Taht to use multiple ath9k chips.
Actually, I don't understand: how for a "modern, open, stable" WiFi
platform - someone could suggest a blobbed Mediatek or even worse,
Broadcom. an OpenWRT official device should be no worse than
LibreCMC-supported routers in regards to openness and freedom
(LibreCMC is a fork of OpenWRT for routers which could run on 100%
opensource without any binary blobs) . If you take some random
Mediatek with crappy binary blobs as the base, such a router won't be
any better than what you could get at store for a much cheaper price
:P

A higher price of OpenWRT router would be much more justified by "no
binary blobs" as the primary selling point. So the solution is either
to put multiple blobless ath9k chips or reverse-engineer & liberate
the firmware of some newer WiFi chip (or even create a new WiFi chip
by crowdfunding). There are no other sane options in sight

> Dave Taht wrote:
> I would actually, be happy cutting even more multiplexing latency out of the ath9k chips

Best regards,
Ivan