Question to recent Qualcomm CVEs

Kalle Valo kvalo at kernel.org
Mon Feb 26 07:53:54 PST 2024

+ ath11k, jeff

Sven Eckelmann <sven at narfation.org> writes:

> On Monday, 26 February 2024 15:50:44 CET Felix Fietkau wrote:
> [...]
>>> The Qualcomm bulletin[1] says "Patches are being actively
>> > shared with OEMs".
>> >
>> > Were these bugfixes made available for OpenWRT? Is there an established
>> > procedure for such cases, where closed-source firmware gets bugfixes?
> [...]
>> > [1]
>> > https://docs.qualcomm.com/product/publicresources/securitybulletin/
> december-2023-bulletin.html
>>
>> The fixes were not shared with OpenWrt. Qualcomm does not care about
>> OpenWrt support for their platforms.
>
> I've asked (using their qualcomm-cdmatech-support portal) for an official
> release of their WiFi firmware with all gathered bugfixes via
> linux-firmware.git. I got statements that the ath10k firmware is no longer
> supported + ath11k firmware is not developed further. But for some of them it
> is possible to request a release of the firmwares via Kalle's repositories.
> But also that Kalle's repositories are now replaced. Which seems to be
> confirmed by Kalle's statement [1] regarding the firmware-N.bin files on
> ath12k at lists.infradead.org .
>
> The new positions for firmware files were not revealed but I found a couple of
> places [2,3,4,5] in my search.

Yeah, the ath1?k-firmware.git repos are being moved to
git.codelinaro.org and we will send an announcement once everything is
ready.

> And to the request to get the latest versions released via linux-firmware.git
> (or maybe even only in Kalle's repositories), I got (some weeks ago) the
> answer "Let me check with our team.".
>
> It is rather hard to make statements about Qualcomm  - simply because it is
> not just a single person and I have no idea about the internal structures. But
> it doesn't seem to be the highest priority (for the "internal team"?) to make
> fixes available for everyone. I still hope that it is just delayed due to some
> unfortunate circumstances. But this is just the current state.

Thanks for letting me know, I was not aware any of this. Me and Jeff
will investigate and get back to you.

For others, here's a link to the thread in openwrt-devel:

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2024-February/042341.html

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches