ustream-ssl ABI_VERSION usage

Jo-Philipp Wich jo at mein.io
Mon Feb 12 05:09:27 PST 2024

Hi Paul,

> While working on using APK instead of OPKG, I started to look into ABI
> versions of different packages and found that ustream-ssl always install
> libustream-ssl.so <http://libustream-ssl.so/>, with no ABI version
> attached.
>
>> $(INSTALL_DATA) $(PKG_INSTALL_DIR)/usr/lib/libustream-ssl.so $(1)/lib/
>
> Doesn’t this render the idea of ABI version obsolete since they can’t be
> installed side by side?

Yes it does, somewhat. It still enforces package consistency opkg-wise (can't
upgrade libustream-ssl without upgrading all packages depending on it) but as
you correctly pointed out, it will prevent side-by-side installations and thus
graceful upgrades.

Ideally all packages specifying an ABI version should ship versioned .so files
as well.

~ Jo