Linux kernel 6.1 or 6.6 for OpenWrt 24.x release?

Elliott Mitchell ehem+openwrt at m5p.com
Tue Feb 6 17:46:20 PST 2024

On Sat, Feb 03, 2024 at 11:21:45AM -0800, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2024 at 01:06:13PM +0100, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> >
> > Which kernel should we use for the next major OpenWrt release?
> > We have two options and I would like to get some feedback on these:
>
> Since this means the main branch will likely be moving to 6.6 soon, I
> would like to point back to this message:
>
> https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2023-October/041672.html
>
> After a few versions, `git blame` on the configuration files should
> become rather more valuable.  This could be automated with the use of
> Perl and some of Git's interesting functionality.
>

> I would like to see this done for *everything* all in one go.  Problem is
> with the current system, configuration files are constantly appearing and
> disappearing.  This is a nightmare for trying to change default options
> (such as target/linux/generic currently has CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=n).
>
> As such I would suggest the copy step should be done for *all* devices
> at the same time.  The changing of the default could then rebase onto
> the intermediate commit to ensure coverage of everything.  It is much
> simpler to handle conflicts when particular devices decide to delete
> older configurations.

I had been thinking it was possible.  Seems I really did have the
knowledge needed, so I have successfully created a mostly working script.
This should be attached to this message, but will also be doing out to
the list as a follow-up.

I haven't quite fully debugged this yet.  Git's fast-import functionality
has some quirks.  This was meant to update the current branch, but seems
the fast-import process may be exiting before everything has been fully
written to storage.  As such you will likely need to run
`git merge --ff-only <provided SHA1>` after the script is run.

This is *not* quite 100%, but it does work.

 \BS (    |         ehem+sigmsg at m5p.com  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445