Linux kernel 6.1 or 6.6 for OpenWrt 24.x release?

Felix Baumann felix.baumann at freifunk-aachen.de
Sat Feb 3 08:42:22 PST 2024

Hi,

from what I imagine the maintainance standpoint to be:
Kernel 6.6 is probably still quick to migrate to. Most targets that already moved, moved early (due to need and due to great work by the devs).
The targets you listed would take long to switch to the new Kernel regardless of Kernel 6.6 or 6.1

6.6 probably requires less maintenance for y'all in the long run (like for the next 3 years atleast due to catching up closer with kernel development) and has more fixes and features.
The effort for 5.15 stays more or less the same, just a few months longer in the master branch though some targets with higher velocity will likely drop it early and switch to 6.6 fully then.

There could be a blocker: certain features that are required to be implemented by OpenWrt for certain targets that increase the effort and I don't know about.

Sure the branch off will take longer, but 23 is at a good point and there's still some stuff left to be ironed out/ stabilized.
Maybe this means a release in 2025, but maybe it also comes with support for new WiFi and more devices then.

I don't have any say in this but I fully support the choice Kernel 6.6. Drop 6.1 over the next months and do no release with it. :)

--------

What can be done from a community stand-point to accelerate rollout of Kernel 6.6 for the targets you listed? Mostly testing and reporting issues or it running fault-free in the corresponding PR?
What makes it harder for these targets? All the subtargets and their different popularity (like mt7620 and xway/danube)?
Atleast for ramips it felt like the switch to 5.15 in master had taken longer than it needed to have.

Regards
Felix Baumann