Adding a new platform: renesas rz

Robert Marko robimarko at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 02:06:37 PDT 2023

On Tue, 31 Oct 2023 at 09:56, Michele Bisogno <micbis.openwrt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> thanks for the encouragement.
> I'll go for plain "renesas" then.
>
> I am a bit hesitating on when / how to submit patches.
> At the moment the image generated is for the sd card (similar to
> Raspberry Pi) and for a single device (RZ/G2L)
> However I am planning to support more boot memories (definitely QSPI
> NOR) and more device from the same "family", i.e. very similar and
> from OpenWRT point of view probably it's just a device tree change.
>
> Shall I focus on one device first and later on submit the rest?
> I am still a newbie, I might discover that things should have been
> done in a specific way only after the first review, that I know it
> will be a disaster... :)

To me, the most sense would be to provide one or 2 boards as part of the initial
target but with multiple boot options supported so later boards can be
easily added.

Personally, GH PR-s are rather good for adding new stuff as it makes
commenting on
things much easier and cleaner, and we can let CI do its thing as well.

Regards,
Robert