Adding a new platform: renesas rz

Robert Marko robimarko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 13:40:02 PDT 2023

On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 at 10:40, Michele Bisogno <micbis.openwrt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been a happy OpenWRT user for many years now, always buying
> routers that could allow me to run it easily.

Hi, nice to hear this.

> I've been working (actually only in my free time as a hobby) on
> porting OpenWRT onto this Renesas board:
> https://www.renesas.com/eu/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/rz-mpus/rzg2l-evkit-rzg2l-evaluation-board-kit
> which features this Arm Cortex-A55 based device:
> https://www.renesas.com/eu/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/rz-mpus/rzg2l-general-purpose-microprocessors-dual-core-arm-cortex-a55-12-ghz-cpus-and-single-core-arm-cortex-m33
>
> I guess this is a new platform, since it does not really fit in any of
> the already supported ones.
>
> I got it working and I am polishing the patch before submitting it.
> The support of this device is already mainlined in the Linux kernel,
> so I am using 6.1 as is with the appropriate config.
> Arm Trusted Firmware and u-boot are instead taken from the respective
> Renesas forks, available on github.

Great, these Reneas SoC-s are rather well supported in respective
upstream projects.

> However this is the first time I do that, and I am still reading and
> learning, so I would like to get opinions, hints, why not constructive
> criticism and hopefully encouragement.

I definitively encourage people to contribute towards more HW support,
especially HW which is mostly upstream.

> For example, naming (renesas? renesas-rz? rz?) and structure of the
> subfolders. There are other variants I would like to add: RZ/G2LC,
> RZ/G2UL and maybe others.

To me, just "renesas" sounds good and then you can introduce the individual
SoC families as subtargets.

Regards,
Robert