Packages buildbot is erratic, both master and 23.05 packages fail often

Michael Pratt mcpratt at protonmail.com
Sun Jun 4 00:03:09 PDT 2023

Hi all,

> > Looking at that observation about gettext and recursive "confdir3/", it is plausible that gettext has problem that manifests in some builds, or trouble with parallelism on some occasions.
> >
> > Gettext was heavily reorganised in May, near the same time as the buildbot code was revamped. So, this might quite well be related to the gettext package and not the new buildbot code.

There is no such subdirectory in gettext source like "confdir3". I don't really know how buildbot builds differ from normal builds on a local machine, so my opinion is not worth much right now...

If I had to guess something wrong with gettext right now, it would be that this has something to do with the fact that HOST_BUILD_DIR and PKG_BUILD_DIR currently have a custom definition for gettext, so that in build_dir it is a path named "gettext" instead of "gettext-full". However, that is expected to be completely harmless.

> > No gettext completion before the final timeout error. Hunderds of other packages were compiled in the time when gettext was was being recursively compiled?
>

> I wouldn’t pay too much attention to this build failure until the space problems are resolved.
> Running out of space can wreck havoc in many different ways and we may simply be looking at side effects (possibly across containers) of that.

I can't help but agree. It's very strange to me to see a subdirectory called "confdir3", let alone that it is infinitely recursing. One of the changes I made was to select subdirectories to build using a variable value of "SUBDIRS" with the Makefile in order to remove a patch, but of course, none of the subdirectories have a name like that...

Hope you can fix it,

--
MCP