Matter integration

Lukas Zeller luz at plan44.ch
Sat Jul 29 06:35:02 PDT 2023

Hi Karsten,

I am very excited to see matter activity in the openwrt space!

For the past year, I was working on a bridge app for my OpenWrt based SmartHome daemon p44mbrd [1]. To make it work, I already constributed a few things to matter itself, in particular the possibiity to make it use libev [2] for the matter mainloop, and fixing the avahi implementation [3].

Back then I also hacked some openwrt platform compilation into matter [4] to build the daemon with gn externally, as I failed doing so from within the openwrt buildroot. That does not seem to be necessary any more - I am very glad to see the devel/gn package, and will try to build p44mbrd this way and then create an openwrt package for it.

My work in and around Openwrt focuses on using the platform for IoT and SmartHome, and using the matter SDK as a bridge with dynamic endpoints (new PR for that see [6]), not as a router/ap. So I probably cannot help much in the latter field, but still hope I might be able to contribute from general openwrt / matter experience.

Looking forward to see how this moves forward :-)

Lukas

[1] https://github.com/plan44/p44mbrd
[2] https://github.com/project-chip/connectedhomeip/pull/24232
[3] https://github.com/project-chip/connectedhomeip/pull/26397