Maintenance of openwrt.org and CDN for downloads

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Mon Dec 18 14:37:30 PST 2023

Hi all,

As announced I switched the DNS for downloads.openwrt.org <http://downloads.openwrt.org/> to use fastly instead of our primary distribution server (mirror-02).

From what I can tell the migration worked rather swift and I’m seeing quite some traffic using the CDN. Cached content is delivered at line speed on my end, hope people around the world make the same experience.

There might be minor hiccups with the mirrors[1] until they switch to rsync.openwrt.org <http://rsync.openwrt.org/> but since no release is in sight I didn’t count that as a stopper.

Next will be a new “origin” server which replaces both mirror-01 (old) and mirror-02 (costly). If anyone is aware of a good bare metal host (or managed rsync host) which is open source friendly and ideally does sponsoring, please reach out to me directly (i.e. not on the list). Without the CDN the server should be able to serve 1PB/a, so ideally nothing that is limited to 1-2 TB per month. Thanks for ideas!

Please enjoy the new download speeds including HTTP/3.

Sunshine,
Paul

[1]: https://openwrt.org/downloads#mirrors