Reserving USERID

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Fri Aug 11 09:11:40 PDT 2023

Hi,

> Is explicit better or not?  And if it is better, how do I go about reserving values that won't get stepped on?  Who is our Numbers Czar, who is our IANA?

I always used Gentoos numbers[1] whenever I added something. Since Clixon is not part of that list, maybe use something that’s not yet in the list?

> And if the packaging requires that files be owned by a certain user, how is that handled in the Makefiles?

Look for PKG_FILE_MODES in the repositories, i.e. busybox[2].

:paul

[1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UID_GID_Assignment_Table
[2]: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/c5988f4c01ff2e74a9588507b621d0ea5986cabe/package/utils/busybox/Makefile#L30