Packaging ZFS

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn at jansson.tech
Thu Aug 10 10:49:01 PDT 2023

On 2023-08-06 21:39, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I don't know... I have a Xeon D-1548 based 1U Supermicro server with a 4TB NVMe stick that would make a decent file server/NAS...
>

>> On Aug 6, 2023, at 11:46 AM, Paul D <newtwen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Pretty sure not. I'm receptive to ZFS and have used it in a few projects. Openwrt tends to focus on (devices with) smaller flash drives. Other FS better suited to such env.
>>
>> No ZFS is in available software packages today, in any case.
>>

>> On 2023-08-06 00:53, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried to package ZFS (more correctly, OpenZFS) for OpenWRT?  Is there any interest in doing so?
>>>
>>> https://github.com/openzfs/zfs

you could always run openwrt as a vm under a hypervisor, for example proxmox.
then you can keep openwrt without any extra packages like zfs and create extra
vms as needed, proxmox already supports zfs if im not mistaken.

if your lucky with the iommu groups you might even be able to pass thru one or
more physical network interfaces to the openwrt vm directly.