[OpenWrt-Devel] wireguard: unknown relocation: 102 [ARMv7 Thumb-2]

Rui Salvaterra rsalvaterra at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 09:19:13 EDT 2020

Hi again, Jason,

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 11:09, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Eventually I can probably get this building and testing and find some
> hardware for this and such. But if you'd like things to move faster,
> trying to reproduce the issue in the qemu test suite will result in a
> quicker fix.

After a bit more digging [1], I believe I've narrowed it down.
CONFIG_THUMB2_AVOID_R_ARM_THM_JUMP11=y is required in order to avoid
the emission of R_ARM_THM_JUMP11 relocations in the WireGuard module.
I'm now wondering why the compat modules haven't exhibited the same
problem (maybe it was just a fluke), but since this kconfig option
effectively implies -fno-optimize-sibling-calls [2], it's quite a
hefty hammer. Is this something that can be solved in the WireGuard
build itself?

Thanks in advance,
Rui

[1] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/3079#issuecomment-645297337