Simplified LuCI interface project: dashboard, quick setup, configuration

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh henrique at nic.br
Fri Jul 31 12:16:48 EDT 2020

On 31/07/2020 12:42, baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org wrote:
> On 31-07-20, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>>> As there has been no negative feedback about this, we will move to
>>> configure the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz in the quick setup.
>>> This will simplify the user experience.
>>
>> We have never tested it, but we did notice vendors nowadays, as well as the
>> *large* ISPs witht their own CPEs and firmware, append _2G and _5G (or do
>> something to that effect) to the default SSID.
>
> I noticed that too.  Do you know why they do this?

It causes less support calls, that would be my best bet.

> If you want a device to be able to connect to both networks (e.g. your
> phone), you have to type the same password twice.  It seems cumbersome.

Yes.  But nowadays there is the QR code to configure the radios, so...

>> It can also be argued that casual users are better off with two networks
>> they can trivially use for separate things.  Videogames and Smart TVs on 5G,
>> cellphones and tablets on 2G.
>
> Ok, this is a good use-case.
>
> In general, having more control from the device side is good, but it
> brings more complexity.
>
>> This is not a "special use case", you'll find lots of friends telling their
>> friends to do it that way, etc.
>
> So these "casual users" know about the two radios and their difference
> with respect to range and throughput?  I'm a bit surprised.

Range and throughput are something they can "feel" from how the device
behaves, and learn interactively.  As long as they know there are two
choices, that is.

> If I sum up, the three options so far are:
>
> [1] configure the same SSID on all radios
> [2] configure a different SSID on every radio
> [3] leave this choice to the user
>
> I would like to avoid option [3] for the reason above, but if half of
> the people need [1] and the other half need [2], then we need [3].

I can't give you strong reasons for which the default should be.

What I do know is that vendors, when they can, use a "wizard" flow for
first-setup and easy-setup, *as well as* a "basic" config view, and an
"advanced" config view.

On the wizard I'd not ask at all, and just do one of the two possible
defaults consistently.  On the basic config view, I'd let the user
change it by having a separate area for each radio (with enable/disable,
name/ssid and the PSK password) that is pre-filled with whichever
default you prefer.

--
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh