Simplified LuCI interface project: dashboard, quick setup, configuration

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Sat Jul 18 09:09:41 EDT 2020

Hi,

On 26-06-20, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> The student project of Biyun and Zhao has just finished.
>
> The goal was to develop a simplified web interface for OpenWrt, integrated
> in LuCI and complementary to the current LuCI interface.
>
> Feedback on the results of the project is welcome, preferably in the pull
> requests (see below).  Zhao and Biyun are still available for a few weeks
> to improve the code and the interface, so that it can hopefully be
> integrated in LuCI.  It was one of the goals of the project, so it would
> be good to accomplish it.
>
> Demo video: https://youtu.be/usFHV2WYvMw or https://gricad-gitlab.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/projet-ter-m1-wic-openwrt/documentation/-/blob/master/demonstration.mp4
>
> Project report: https://gricad-gitlab.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/projet-ter-m1-wic-openwrt/documentation/-/blob/master/Report.pdf
>
> Github pull requests to integrate the modules in LuCI:
> - dashboard: https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4185

Feedback so far has been good on the dashboard, it is ready to merge.
I expect it will receive more wide testing once it's in the tree.

As a future evolution, it could perhaps replace the current "status" page.

> - quick setup: https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4141
> - configuration: https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4186

This needs more discussion and feedback.

There is one interesting question (on the github pull request): should the
quick setup configure the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, or two
different SSID?

I remember that some clients had trouble switching between channels if the
same SSID is used, which is why I pushed for two different SSID.  Does
anybody has current experience with this?

As always, keep in mind that this should match the common needs of casual
users: advanced users can always go to the current Wireless menu.