[RFC] usage of mkhash, sha256sum and md5sum

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Thu Jul 16 15:36:49 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-16 21:18, Paul Spooren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 15.07.20 22:54, Felix Fietkau wrote:
>> On 2020-07-16 04:06, Paul Spooren wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the OpenWrt system requires the calculation of both md5 and sha256 sums
>>> at various places, this is partly done via a small C file in
>>> ./scripts/mkhash.c and partly by using a sha256sum binary. A ancient
>>> wrapper ./scripts/md5sum is added for Mac OS X compatibility.
>>>
>>> * Should we create our own crypto by using ./scripts/mkhash.c? I
>>> remember from some previous discussions on IRC and GitHub that there are
>>> generally concerns against it, also a motivation for[0]. I understand
>>> that Felix just reinvent the code but used established sources, however
>>> it is used for package signing (not image signing). I'm fairly sure less
>>> eyes look through that code than e.g. the Debian implementation.
>> This is not "creating our own crypto" at all. I used existing widely
>> used implementations of MD5/SHA256 (mostly FreeBSD code, if I remember
>> correctly).
> Maybe the wording here is wrong, "maintain your own crypto" rather than
> "create".
I don't see anything wrong with that when it's just simple commonly used
hash functions.

>>> * Currently include/package-ipkg.mk uses a host installed `sha256sum`
>>> binary which is not covered via include/prereq{,-build}.mk. Should it be
>>> added to prereq or replaced by mkhash?
>>>
>>> * Can ./scripts/md5sum be removed or is it still required for Mac OS X
>>> builds.
>> I'm not sure if build/host code for some packages still relies on it.
> I'll ask some fellow Mac OS X builders. However a cleaner solution would
> be to just remove it and rely on `mkhash md5` only.
>>> * Any reason not to replace `mkhash <alg>` by using `<alg>sum | cut -d '
>>> ' -f 1`? Both sha256sum and md5sum seem to be available per default on
>>> Debian, Alpine and OpenWrt.
>> There are many calls to mkhash from the build system, some from
>> performance sensitive parts. Changing it that way will likely make the
>> build slower (especially in cases where it only checks stamps but
>> doesn't rebuild anything).
>
> I did a quick benchmark and mkhash & sha256sum seem to be the same speed
> while md5sum is about 8% faster than `mkhash md5`.
>
> Details here if anyone cares http://sprunge.us/l7amiR
You ran the benchmark on a large file, which mostly ignores startup
overhead. mkhash is frequently called on small files, so startup
performance matters much more than raw throughput.

I just tried the same benchmark on a small file on my machine, and there
mkhash is 1.48x faster than *sum | cut
Results here: http://sprunge.us/KtJTSe

- Felix