uboot-sunxi: SPI Flash support for Orange Pi R1. Need help with sysupgrade.bin image

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sun Jul 12 12:42:08 EDT 2020

On 7/9/20 6:05 PM, Yaroslav Petrov wrote:
> Dear Mr. Mehrtens,
>

> I'd like install Openwrt on SPI Flash by Orange Pi R1 (without SD-Card).
>

> 1. uboot-sunxi with SPI Support. It was simple: (
> https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/pull/34 ... Yes, i know about u-boot
> patch rules. I'll do it later)
>
> 2. SPI Flash partitions. It was also easy. (Example:
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/f003d732d726758f11f0c308758637c434c37c1a/target/linux/sunxi/patches-4.19/400-arm64-allwinner-a64-sopine-Add-Sopine-flash-partitio.patch)
>

> 3. Prepare u-boot env rules (it should be also easy:
> https://linux-sunxi.org/Bootable_SPI_flash )
>

> My problem is build a sysuprade.bin image. Right now the sunxi target
> use SD-Card images. And I have no idea how it should be implemented in
> target/linux/sunxi/image/Makefile
>

> Can you please provide me ? or maybe you know who can help me ?
>

> We need Orange Pi R1 SPI image for our Freifunk-Dresden community:
>
> https://gitlab.freifunk-dresden.de/firmware-developer/firmware/issues/56
>

> Best regards
> Yaroslav Petrov

Hi Yaroslav,

I would make this two different devices. One for SD-card flash and one
SPI flash device. Then you would not support sysupgrade between SD-card
and SPI. The initial flashing of the SPI image can be done by just dd
the image to the SPI flash from the SD card image.

I would build the SPI flash image in a similar way for any of the MIPS
deices with SPI NOR flash.

I tried to make the SPI work in OpenWrt on this device some time ago,
but never finished:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/hauke.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/sunxi-spi

Hauke