'tr' character class support?

Jordan Geoghegan jordan at geoghegan.ca
Fri Jul 10 16:45:12 EDT 2020

Hey folks,

Does the 'tr' utility support character classes in OpenWRT? I was
playing around with an OpenWRT x86_64 VM and I noticed that 'tr' doesn't
seem to support character classes.
The command " echo HELLO | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' "  does not
convert to the text to lowercase as it should (and as required by
POSIX). I'm 99.9% sure BusyBox 'tr' supports character classes, as when
I tried it on Alpine Linux (which uses BusyBox) everything worked as
expected.

I wanted to make sure this wasn't just a fluke with the x86_64 build, so
I had another person test it on arm and mips releases and he was able to
confirm the issue (and additionally confirmed that the issue is also
present in LibreCMC which is based on OpenWRT). Anyways, just hoping I
could get some clarification as to what the story is with 'tr' and
character classes.

Regards,

Jordan