[OpenWrt-Devel] Migration in ath79 for swapped ethernet

Piotr Dymacz pepe2k at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 09:27:04 EST 2020

Hi Peter,

On 27.01.2020 22:05, Peter Geis wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:00 PM Piotr Dymacz <pepe2k at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

>> But it's not a general rule and, at least in case of generic/basic
>> settings, user shouldn't be worried about upgrading between major
>> versions with preserving settings. Otherwise, the whole idea doesn't
>> make much sense and we should just prevent settings backup during major
>> versions switch.
>
> Excellent point!
> Here's an odd possibility, just to throw at the wall.
> What about building a special transition image, specifically for
> moving from ar71xx to ath79.
> If you want to retain the ability to return to ar71xx have an image to
> go the opposite way.

Simply, no.
Please don't make it way more complicated that it truly is.

> Or a metadata package to do the conversion post flash.

My goal is to solve the problem without re-inventing the wheel. I prefer
to solve the problem with what we already have.

> Because the option (which seems pretty drastic, unless the size could
> be minimized) of having a near permanent conversion script built into
> the firmware seems rather costly.

Conversion scripts would be my last solution. I prefer to deal with the
problem without too much overhead.

--
Cheers,
Piotr