[OpenWrt-Devel] Releases [Was: Re: OpenWrt 20.X release plans]

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Mon Jan 20 04:01:08 EST 2020

Hauke Mehrtens <hauke at hauke-m.de> [2020-01-19 18:17:10]:

Hi,

> Someone has to take care of the release and this person would then
> announce that he wants to tag and build the next RC some days before so
> that people can prepare. The person can change in the release process.

Ok, fine with me, it should be written down (made clear), that the release
timeline, number of RCs depends on the "release manager".

This brings another topic to the table, how are we going to pickup the
"release manager" if we can't find a volunteer? :-) Round-robin or random
choice from the list of available (if needed to be) candidates?

> Does someone else other than jow know how to setup built bot for a new
> branch? Is this documented somewhere?

It should be documented and at least 3 persons should be able (and willing) to
do that.

> From my point of view the delays were not caused by someone saying that
> we should wait till something is fixed, but that nobody did the next
> step and nothing happened.

I was rather referencing delay between the branch and first RC.

IIRC we've branched in the middle of the LuCI Lua refactoring (service side ->
JS client), so waiting for LuCI getting into releasable state. Don't take me
wrong, it's fine with me, we just should take such possible release blockers
into the account in the future as well and either find a way of handling them
or just live with the fact, that this delay migh resurface in the future
again.

> I would also only list the big problems you listed as real showstoppers,
> but it would be nice if more people also get informed about the other
> bugs too.

I hope, that this is going to be improve with the defragmented tooling
(FlySpray merged into something else). We can then have a release (or next RC)
milestones, assigning issues as release blockers (done by the release manager
only).

> I added some support status to this wiki page:
> https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/security#support_status I hope this
> is ok

It makes it clear, explicit, so I like it.

> I would prefer if we make separate votes at least for the topics which
> are separate, you can start them at the same time, but I think it is
> easier to have separate discussions.

Ok, noted.

-- ynezz