[OpenWrt-Devel] GNU libtool 2.4.0 bump to 2.4.2 ?

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Sun Jan 19 04:55:51 EST 2020

I have noticed that Christian has had the libtool 2.4.2 version bump in his
staging repo since March 2019. I assume that it has caused no trouble for him
so far, so I just wonder if it should be pushed to the main repo at some point?

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/chunkeey.git;a=commitdiff;h=a0e022309d0fcf8e7f47f4044bf3ae79d5cdd6eb;hp=7bfd053e004dde870fc531ff70018bc1c14dca20

Of the build tools we use, our version of GNU libtool (= "autoreconf" in our
Makefiles) is by far the most antiqued tool that we still use. The currently
used version 2.4.0 dates back to 2010. Bumping it up to 2.4.2 would advance
it by one year to 2011, but it would still be quite antique.

I looked into the version bump work myself three years ago, but as there has
been a major structure change after 2.4.2, I threw the towel in. Bumping it
further from 2.4.2 to 2.4.6(?) requires some actual understanding of the
Linux library environment and the intention of our OpenWrt specific
cross-compile targeting patches for libtool.

I just fear that we will sooner of later get hit by the usage of a decade old
tool as the related build tools and paradigms evolve. Bumping it up to 2.4.2
might be the first step, but sooner or later somebody with relevant skills
should look into getting the version modernized.