[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt 20.X release plans

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Thu Jan 16 05:05:14 EST 2020

Hauke Mehrtens <hauke at hauke-m.de> [2020-01-16 00:00:33]:

Hi,

> My preferred timeline would the the following:
> * Beginning of February: freeze master for big changes (adding new
> boards is no problem)
> * Beginning of March: branch off 20.3 release branch
> * 1 week after the branch was created: tag and build 20.3-rc1
> * 3 weeks later tag and build 20.3-rc2
> * 3 weeks later tag and build 20.3 final

Amazing!

Is this fixed or relaxed timeline? :-) I mean, are those steps going to happen
as they're defined or they can slip by some days/weeks/months?

Looking at the recent past, and I think, that we should learn from that
experience, it would be nice to define who/what can delay this proposed
timeline, release blockers so to speak.

Thinking about it, just this two points came to my mind:

 - unfixed security issues we're aware of
 - unfixed bug which could lead to:

   * bricked device
   * preventing access to the device over SSH or LuCI

   Those issues needs to be properly reported at respective bug tracking
   system and confirmed/reproducible by at least one more person.