[OpenWrt-Devel] Preserving configs over sysupgrade on ath79/tiny broken for some boards (on 19.07 and master), possible solutions

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 16:42:15 EST 2020

On 01/01/20 15:02, Petr Štetiar wrote:
> Alberto Bursi <bobafetthotmail at gmail.com> [2020-01-01 03:30:34]:
>
> Hi,
>
>> A LOT of OpenWrt userbase does not follow the mailing lists (or even know
>> what a mailing list is), so if you want to have the full picture please
>> visit the forum as well.
>
> users dont know/use mailing lists, developers hate to waste time with the slow
> and barely usable web UIs, not mentioning the amount of noise, making it
> harder to find the signal.

Ah come on, everyone dislikes bad web UIs and wasting time when posting,
not just developers.

The actual reality is that most developers don't usually like doing
first level tech support (which is ok, it's not for everyone), and using
mailing lists is just the way you always used so you are accustomed to
it. It's not inherently better or more "developer-y" than a good forum's
"development" section.

> Anyway, the project certainly needs a better popularity/usage feedback in
> order to better understand the userbase, so perhaps some kind of run time
> statistics[1] would help in this regard.
>
> Or perhaps it would be possible to distill the similar information from the
> following passive sources as well:
>
>   - download stats
>   - forum posts
>   - IRC logs
>   - bug tracker/issues
>
> Not so trivial, but less privacy intrusive, probably less accurate as well.
> Ideally we would have both :-)

There is already some firmware/package download statistics in the main
download server that was put up here
https://downloads.openwrt.org/stats/
and that page is linked to from the download page in the wiki
https://openwrt.org/downloads

I don't know if that includes mirrors or not, would be cool to ask
mirrors to provide download data so we can integrate them in the bigger
picture.

Afaik Discourse (the forum software) has a web API you can use to
automate things, like for example searches to build statistics
https://docs.discourse.org
so we can collect info about forum posts too

I don't know about IRC and the Flyspray bug tracker.

-Alberto