[OpenWrt-Devel] Advice needed - Proper approach to port 5G/LTE modem into OpenWRT

Michael Jones mike at meshplusplus.com
Mon Apr 27 12:12:25 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 7:42 AM Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> Jeonghum Joh <oosaprogrammer at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am porting a 5G/LTE modem into OpenWRT.
>
> Follow the instructions for LTE modems.  A 5G modem is pretty much the
> same wrt drivers and basic management.  At least for Qualcomm based
> modems on a USB bus.  Have no experience with anything else.  The Intel
> and Huawei modems are competely unknown to me, and most likely
> unsupported for the forseeable future.  And I'm also blank on the magic
> of Qualcomms PCIe interface. Qualcomm did work on a driver, but it's
> been a long time since I saw any update on that.  I guess no one cares
> enough.  SuperSpeed USB is fine for most users for now.
>
> Anyway, several X55 based modems are already supported out of the box in
> OpenWrt master.  There is no need to reinvent the wheel if you are using
> one of those.
>
> You may obviously decide to implement your own alternative solutions,
> like using some vendor software. But that will limit the user community
> severely. At least until the solution attracts more users.  And
> community support depends on users, which I believe is something you
> should consider since you have ended up in this forum.  You are unlikely
> to find anyone here who have any experience with your particular vendor
> software version.
>
> Personally, I am happy to give advice about anything regardless of
> experience.  But the quality of that advice is probably a tiny bit
> better when it is based on something I've tried myself.  Or maybe not?
> Is probably bad in any case.
>

> Bjørn

@Jeonghum Joh

If you decide to use the connection management software that the vendor
supplied, you'll want to integrate it into Netifd and Hotplug.d to ensure
appropriate cross communication with things in the OpenWRT system.

Please look at this file to see an example of how that is done:
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/modemmanager/files/modemmanager.proto
There's
a whole rabbit hole that you can follow on this topic to get every detail
right, but it's probably sufficient for your purposes to get the high level
details, and then let the OpenWRT stack take care of the rest.