[OpenWrt-Devel] [ramips] Linkit Smart 7688

Ivan Hörler ivanhoerler at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 02:16:20 EDT 2019

> Am 15.09.2019 um 22:46 schrieb Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org>:
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 09:28:35PM +0200, Ivan Hörler wrote:
>> Hi
>> Now after nowing how to make a PR, im interested to know how you think about some thaughts of me.
>>
>> Linkit Smart 7688 has a blast of tools they offer in the original firmware bild. Compared the one openWRT offers is verry slim.
>> Is that ment to be so or did nobody care until me?
>>
>> Some of the Tools:
>> 1. Automatic activation as Accesspoint, because the board is ment for IOT and has no Ethernet port. Right now with the official OpenWRT build can not be connected to any network without addtional Serial converter.
>
> This has been a lengthy debate and if at all, then activating wifi
> by default should only be done on devices without any ethernet.
> LinkIt Smart is a devboard and Ethernet may well be attached, but
> there are examples of consumer systems without any Ethernet port
> which are useless unless wifi is enabled by default.
> Most recent debate is here
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/2408 <https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/2408>

It looks to me as the Devolo Magic 2 Device has Ethernet ports. The Linkit Smart 7688 is a bare Development board with no Ethernet socket. The only way to configure a openWRT without wifi, is to buy another tool. A serial to usb adapter and wire the bins to the RX/TX of the board.
In my eyes its no security risk to enable the accesspoint feature in the same way as Mediatek does in the official firmware on a dev-board.
I would also apply the same forced self defined password to the same mac-adress based ssid as described in the manual  <https://labs.mediatek.com/en/download/ih80Qtjo> so a user that buy’s that device can switch to recent openWRT OS without to read separate doc’s.
proposal:
ssid=LinkIt_Smart_7688-[ending6digid-MAC-address]
could look like:
ssid=LinkIt_Smart_7688-6AYR2N

do you agree in this?

>> 2. Luci WebGUI
>
> LuCI is shipped with OpenWrt releases by default, but not in the
> development snapshots.

Good. I noticed that already.
Does Luci already provide a check if a password exists before login?
Mediatek developed a selfmade reduced GUI to force Users to set a Password before a Login is possible.
Its made as a Web-form that checks if a password exists and forces the user to set a password if none exists.

If not, do you agree to let me develop such forced password seting?

>> 3. Language: Python with PIP
>>
>> 4. Language: Node with NPM
>>
>> 5. mraa from Intel
>>
>> 6. some upm modules from Intel
>>
>> What of this list wold be possible to integrate in to a official openWRT release without scratching rules?
>
> All those other things are installable using 'opkg' on the running
> system. Or you may use the ImageBuilder to build images with software
> of your choice preinstalled.

I will test this packages after solveing Number 1 & 2.