[OpenWrt-Devel] Trunk tl wdr4900 v1 boot fails on bootloader CRC check

Sami Olmari sami at olmari.fi
Sun Mar 10 07:33:21 PDT 2019

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 4:20 PM Alberto Bursi <bobafetthotmail at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10/03/19 21:32, Sami Olmari via openwrt-devel wrote:
> > Okay it wasn't
> >
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/576c69938bb38c7edfa23f220eb30cb5c1d0a726
> > nor the immediately next one
> >
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/0fbd3d23aadee0d95beef4f077a866dae7f4841a
> > so it's still unclear what commit really breaks this... but I'll try
> > to keep looking.. :)
> >
> > --
> >  Sami Olmari
>

> The issue isn't a specific commit.
>
> The issue is the kernel is too big.
>
> The bootloader of this device only reads 0x29F000 bytes in hex or
>
> 2748416 bytes, around 2.6Mb in decimal.
>

> In the Github PR (1) they see they can only work around this by
>
> making an u-boot bootloader that can be loaded instead of the kernel.
>
> Then this u-boot will load the kernel with no limitations.
>

> -Alberto
>

> [1] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1773

Shouldn't this alleviate that?
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/576c69938bb38c7edfa23f220eb30cb5c1d0a726

"

Currently, the image creation process for the TP-Link tl-wdr4900-v1
needs a fixed sized kernel and places the rootfs partition at a
fixed offset. With the upcoming move to 4.19 the kernel will no
longer fit into the existing allocated space for the kernel
partition.

This patch converts the device to utilize the established
tplink,firmware mtdsplitter, which can deal with a dynamic
kernel/rootfs size.

"

Not that I really know too good, I'm still just eager user more than
developer... Anyway, All I can then hope a fix is introduced... I am
more than willing to alpha/betatest :)

--

 Sami Olmari