[OpenWrt-Devel] flock clash with msmtpq-ng-mta

Daniel F. Dickinson cshored at thecshore.com
Thu Jan 10 00:23:09 EST 2019

On 2019-01-07 4:57 p.m., Marcel Telka wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 03:54:52AM -0500, Daniel F. Dickinson wrote:
>> On 2019-01-04 2:14 a.m., Marcel Telka wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> After upgrade from LEDE 17.01.4 to OpenWrt 18.06.1 I noticed that
>>> mailq from
>>> the msmtpq-ng-mta package no longer works:
>>>
>> So I have bad news -- I'm upstream and I deprecated / abandoned the
>> msmtpq-ng as a bad idea.  I could probably be convinced to bring it back
>> if there were use cases that actually made sense (what I realized is
>> that the queuing was of limited use on flash system because a reboot
>> loses all queued messages anyway in the default (RAM) config, and I
>> wouldn't want to queue onto flash for limited writes concerns).  If
>> there was a good case I think I'd fixup the shell script only until I
>> had replaced it with a decent C implementation of a similar concept
>> (preferably using a reasonably small smtp library to do avoid
>> reinventing the wheel).
>
> Okay, thanks for the info.
>
> My use case is simple: I have a site (small household) with only one device
> running all the time (a cheap openwrt router).  I would like to run some
> non-critical cron jobs on the router and I'd like to get email notifications
> from them once completed.  I found that simple mail queue support as provided
> by msmtpq-ng-mta is good enough to cover rare internet connection issues.  I do
> not need to have a bullet proof system with zero lost mails, so in-RAM queue is
> good enough.  When I did my research few years back to find the best solution I
> just found msmtpq-ng-mta and started to use it.  It perfectly fits my needs.  A
> possible solution with added some small additional device (like a Raspberry Pi)
> is just an overkill for this use case and cannot be reasonably justified.
>
> Is there any other simple solution that could be used for sending mails,
> preferably with simple queuing support, and with ability to submit mails using
> TLS and SMTP AUTH?

There isn't that I am aware of.  I actually think I will pull the
project out of mothball mode and do some updates.  I'll try and look at
the 18.06 branch and what can be done 'soon'.  I may not make the merge
window for the next batch of releases as I believe fork is on about the
12th.

In the meantime have you tried installing 'full' flock and logger
utilities?  That may solve your issue for now.

Regards,

Daniel