[OpenWrt-Devel] Flexible first-boot message

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Wed Jan 2 16:38:05 EST 2019

OpenWrt presently prints the following the first time it boots:

=== WARNING! =====================================
There is no root password defined on this device!
Use the "passwd" command to set up a new password
in order to prevent unauthorized SSH logins.

This message is contained as a here document in /etc/profile.

I am interested in changing this message on the images I build. It
occured to me that an easy way to do this would be to move the message
from the here document to something like /etc/finish-install. I could
then overwrite /etc/finish-install with my message during the image-build
process.

Is there any appetite to do something like this?

--
Mike

:wq